This 40-acre farmstead, called Schumacher Farm Park, was gifted to the Dane County Parks Commission in 1978 by Marcella Schumacher Pendall, the only child of Henry Schumacher. The original farmhouse and barn built by Henry Schumacher in 1908 are accompanied by outbuildings of the same era, donated to the park from local farms. The property features trails through a 10-acre restored prairie that sits on a hilltop with a beautiful view of Waunakee and even a glimpse of the State Capitol Building. Our grounds are open year-round.
In the warmer months, volunteers tend the chickens, the heirloom garden, and the small orchard. The park hosts workshops and public events, like our beloved Heritage Fest and Halloween at the Farm, as well as private events in our Center for Rural History.
The park represents a view into what life was like during the 1920s-1930s and offers a representation of Dane County's heritage through preservation, restoration, education and nature conservation. The Friends of Schumacher Farm manages the park's programming and maintenance. Please consider making a donation to keep this rural heritage alive in our community.