Where Dane County's Rural Heritage Comes Alive.
 
 
 

 
 


 
 
 
 
 

E-Newsletter

Join Our Email List
 
A young Marcella enjoys a spring day at the farm in 1917. 

 Our History

 In 1892, Henry Schumacher purchased forty acres of land one mile east of the  Village of Waunakee from the widow of Dr. Nathaniel Wheeler, the village’s  first physician. Although Dr. Wheeler cultivated grapes and an orchard, it was  Henry who turned the land into a working farm that remained in the  Schumacher family for nearly 100-years.

 In 1908, Henry married Eveline Busby and in 1910 Marcella Philomene  Schumacher, their only child, was born. Although all farming activity had  ceased shortly after the death of her father in 1958, Marcella wanted to create a  living history museum that documented and represented farm life during the early 20th century. As a teacher working in the Waunakee School District for many years, Marcella wanted to leave an educational legacy. In 1978, Marcella donated the property to the Dane County Parks Commission and Schumacher Farm Park was born.

To carry out her dream of using her father’s farmstead as a conservancy and park, Marcella formed a non-profit organization, The Friends of Schumacher Farm, in 1986. Over the next several decades, Marcella mentored the organization while living in her family home until she passed away at the age of 83. At her death, she left the Marcella Schumacher Pendall Trust to provide for the basic financial needs of the Friends of Schumacher Farm.

The Friends assumed responsibility for the restoration of the farm house to the 1930s era and have established an educational program that represents the life of the area’s early settlers. The successful partnership among the Friends of Schumacher Farm, its many volunteers, the Dane County Parks Commission and the surrounding communities has made Schumacher Farm Park what it is today.

Our Future

In 2007, the red barn currently located on the east side of the farm was constructed to house the future Center for Rural History. The Center will serve as a true visitor’s center providing much needed museum space to display artifacts and a common area for hosting large group gatherings and indoor educational programs. In addition, the Friends of Schumacher Farm are working to construct a Farm Machinery Museum to house, repair, and restore the existing collection of early 1900s farm machinery and tools. Both the Farm Machinery Museum and Center for Rural History are essential to the Friends in continuing their efforts to provide farming heritage programs and in carrying out Marcella’s educational legacy.


info@schumacherfarmpark.org           5682 Hwy 19, Waunakee, WI 53597            Phone:  608-849-4559            Fax:  608-849-4556  

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software