Subscribe to E-Newsletter
Adopt-a-Row, Heirloom Garden
Wood Stove Cooking
Carol Sing & Tree Lighting
Heritage Fest Parking
Download Trail Map
You never know what you'll find on the prairie on one of our guided hikes.
Rattlesnake Master is one of many prairie plants on the Schumacher Farm Prairie.
Wayne Pauly, Dane County Parks Naturalist, stops to tell a story about Compass plant on one of our guided hikes.
Download Farm Detail Map
The Buildings of Schumacher Farm Park
Henry Schumacher built this house in 1906 for his new bride, Evelyn Busby for $5,000.
It has 4 bedrooms, a parlor, dining room and a large kitchen. Marcella was the only child to live in the house. She lived in the house until her death in 1993. Since then, the Friends of Schumacher Farm have restored much of the interior back to what it may have looked like in the 1920s. Many of the items in the house are original to the farm.
In 1908, Henry Schumacher built the barn for $1,200. It has a wood frame and hay loft. The entire community chipped in to build the structure.
The granary was used to store grain to feed farm animals. The grain was stored on the second floor in bins and farmers used the chutes on the first floor to put grain into buckets to feed the animals.
This granary has five chutes, one in each of the four “rooms” and one in the entry way. Our granary is not original to Schumacher Farm, but it is from the same time period. Vincent Lacy donated the building in 1999 and it was restored on site.
Hog House and Corn Crib
Farmers kept hogs for food and housed them in buildings with small doors to allow animals to come and go. The corn crib (in rear) held dried corn used to feed animals. Geraldine and Rodney Gehrke of Sun Prairie donated the buildings in 2000. Staff moved the the buildings and restored them site
Volunteers restored the chicken coop in in 2012. The building was moved to the park in 2010 and previously served as a storage shed on Dane County Parks Property just south of Schumacher Farm Park. It will soon house chickens.
The outhouse is a two-holer and stands where the original stood. It came from the Ferdinand Pape house in Springfield Corners and was installed in 2004.
Future Visitor Center
The new red barn was built in 2006-2007 and will serve as the future visitor center and office space for the Friends of Schumacher Farm Park.
5682 Hwy 19, Waunakee, WI 53597 Phone: 608-849-4559 Fax: 608-849-4556